The School of Earth, Energy & Environmental Sciences is home to faculty members in four departments: Energy Resources Engineering, Earth System Science, Geological Sciences, and Geophysics. In addition, the School hosts two interdisciplinary programs: the Earth Systems Program and the Emmett Interdisciplinary Program in Environment and Resources. The School has an annual consolidated budget of approximately $45 million.
The student population of about 400 graduate students and 150 undergraduates, along with faculty and staff, occupy all or part of four campus buildings: Geology Corner/Braun Hall (Bldg 320 of the Quad), the Ruth Wattis Mitchell Earth Sciences Building, the Cecil H. and Ida M. Green Earth Sciences Research Building, and the Yang and Yamazaki Environment and Energy Building (Y2E2). The Mitchell Building also houses the Branner Earth Sciences Library, which contains about 125,000 volumes and 270,000 sheet maps.
Consolidated into the School of Mineral Sciences in 1947, it was renamed the School of Earth Sciences in 1964. More than 50 years later, in 2015, its name was changed to the School of Earth, Energy & Environmental Sciences to better reflect the breadth of its research and teaching, which focus on understanding the changing Earth and helping address resource and environmental challenges facing the world.