Current Stanford Students
Joint MS Application Process
MBA students currently enrolled in Stanford's Graduate School of Business (GSB), JD students at Stanford Law School (SLS), MA students in the Ford Dorsey Master's in International Policy program (MIP), MD students in the School of Medicine, or students pursuing a PhD in another Stanford department are eligible to submit an application during Winter Quarter of their first year. The deadline for applications to begin the Joint MS in Spring 2021 is Sunday, January 31, 2021 by 11:59 pm Pacific Time. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance by Friday, February 19, 2021. Accepted students must matriculate by Friday, March 5, 2021. All new students are required to enroll in ENVRES 280 during Spring Quarter 2021.
There is no application fee to apply for the Joint MS. Those who matriculate in the Joint MS are required to pay a $125 fee to the Registrar to add their E-IPER graduate career.
E-IPER will not accept applications outside of existing application cycles. The MS-MBA, MS-JD, and MS/MA (MIP) degree programs are designed to start during a students’ first year, and students are highly encouraged to apply at that time. In exceptional cases, second year GSB, SLS, and MIP students may apply to E-IPER by the deadline indicated above. Students should demonstrate their interest and commitment to the E-IPER MS degree by completing or enrolling in a minimum of 9 units of non-professional school E-IPER units by the time of their application in the second year. This is a minimum requirement, however does not guarantee acceptance.
Ask your professional school admissions or academic operations office to forward a complete copy of your Graduate School of Business, Stanford Law School, Ford Dorsey Mater's of International Policy, School of Medicine, or PhD application to E-IPER by the January 31, 2021 deadline.
For GSB students: Fill out this Google Form to have your application forwarded to E-IPER.
For SLS students: Fill out the Release of Academic Records for Dual and Joint Degree Application Form to have your application forwarded to E-IPER.
Login to your Stanford Google account and submit the following application materials (.doc or .pdf) via Google Form submission portal:
- A statement of purpose (2 pages double-spaced maximum) to help us understand what you care about, your motivations to pursue this MS degree, and what you can bring to the E-IPER community and beyond. There is no pre-defined best answer, and we hope you are able to share your authentic self in addressing the following:
- What environment, energy, and/or sustainability-related resource issue(s) do you wish to address, and what makes those important to you?
- Tell us about the issue(s) you care about and why. Explain what motivates you to want to dedicate a significant part of your educational pursuits to a Master of Science in Environment and Resources.
- Please provide examples of what you need to learn through the MS in Environment and Resources. Share why this will help you accomplish your goals.
- Use our website and available staff resources to learn about the program curriculum and experiences, such as the Capstone project. Provide clear examples to help us understand what you are excited to learn about, how it connects to the issues important to you, and how you want to spend your time in E-IPER.
- How would you contribute to the E-IPER community?
- E-IPER is a small and resourceful community of scholars and problem solvers. What diverse perspectives would you bring? How do you plan to immerse yourself in the E-IPER community--in the classroom, in the community and across campus?
- An unofficial Stanford transcript that includes your Autumn quarter grades and Winter quarter classes.
- For JD students only: Because the LSAT does not include a quantitative component, students applying for the Joint MS-JD should include a brief description of their quantitative preparation (ie. 1-2 paragraphs describing your previous coursework in mathematics and sciences or relevant professional work and a bulleted list of previous coursework taken, if applicable) to demonstrate readiness for the science and engineering courses that are required for the Joint MS.
Submit a draft E-IPER Joint MS Program Plan outlining a proposed course of study. Make a personal copy of the degree-specific template in Google Sheets and share with E-IPER Student Services Officer, Maile Kuida. Students should use the course track lists and the ExploreCourses website to determine which courses are of interest, but students do not need to factor in class times when making their draft plans. The plan does not need to be signed at this time.
- MS-MBA Program Plan form
- MS-JD Program Plan form
- Dual MS Program Plan form [for MA (MIP), MD, and PhD students]
All applications will be reviewed by the E-IPER Joint MS Admissions Committee which considers each applicant's academic preparation, professional experience, motivation, and career goals. The strongest candidates will clearly demonstrate how they will integrate their interests and prior experiences with their E-IPER and professional school education, and why an interdisciplinary graduate degree is necessary for their career goals.