Ph.D. Graduate Admissions, 2023-2024 Application Cycle
The application portal for the 2023-2024 Ph.D. Graduate Admissions cycle will be open in mid-September 2022. All applications must be submitted through Stanford University's Graduate Admissions portal: Stanford Graduate Admissions
E-IPER welcomes applications for fall matriculation only.
Preparation: Ph.D. Admissions Timeline
Thank you for your interest in applying for E-IPER. Below, you will find a timeline of how our application process works, as well as links to additional pages and information to help you through the process.
- Mid-July - October 2022: E-IPER Ph.D. Admissions Info Sessions and Student Panels
- Mid-September 2022: E-IPER Ph.D. Application opens. Visit this page to apply to our graduate program
- Tuesday, November 22, 2022: E-IPER Ph.D. Application Deadline
- February 2023: A shortlist of prospective students will be invited for a site visit
- Late February/Early March 2023: Final Decisions
- April 15, 2023: Response Deadline from Admitted Students
EIPER Admissions: Step-By-Step
1: Learn more about the EIPER program.
- Visit our About E-IPER page for an overview of the program and our PhD page for an overview of the PhD
- Check out our News page to get a taste of what current students and faculty are working on
- Browse our list of faculty and current students, to get a better sense of the research that we do
2: Learn more about our E-IPER admissions process.
- Please see our E-IPER PhD website and FAQ pages to see an overview of important information about the admissions requirements
- Attend or watch one of our EIPER PhD Admission Info Sessions which includes both information sessions and student panels
- Review the Advice from Current Students page about applying for admission
- If you still have questions about the admissions process, email Ai Tran at email@example.com
3: Reach out to faculty you might be interested in working with
- You can find potential advisors from our current faculty list and by looking at the advisors of our current students, but you can also find potential faculty across all seven schools at Stanford. We encourage you to reach out to faculty in advance, but don’t worry if you don’t hear back; you can still list those faculty on your application.
4: Learn more about what it’s like to be an EIPER Ph.D. student
5: Write and submit your application! This year’s deadline is November 22, 2022 @ 11:59 pm PST.
- If the $125 application fee poses a financial hardship, please visit the Stanford Graduate Diversity website for the Fee Application Waiver
Regardless of citizenship or financial circumstances, all admitted E-IPER Ph.D. students are guaranteed up to five years of funding, compiled from a variety of sources including teaching assistantships, research assistantships, gifts, and endowed funds. Ph.D. applicants are also encouraged to investigate outside funding opportunities, such as the National Science Foundation, Environmental Protection Agency, and Department of Energy graduate research fellowships (these opportunities from federal agencies are limited to US citizens and permanent residents), and other fellowships and grants for which they might be eligible.
The Knight-Hennessy Scholars program cultivates a diverse, multidisciplinary community of emerging leaders from around the world and guides them to collaborate, innovate, and communicate as they prepare to address the complex challenges facing society. Knight-Hennessy Scholars become part of a supportive family of fellow scholars. Through the King Global Leadership Program, scholars will broaden knowledge, develop skills, and strengthen character; this platform provides a collection of community experiences, workshops, meetings with leaders, domestic and global study trips, and personal development opportunities. Knight-Hennessy Scholars also receive funding for graduate study at Stanford University.
Apply at https://kh.stanford.edu/apply.
We have created online information sessions (offered in late Summer and Fall) to help prospective applicants get detailed information about the admissions process and program details.
Please find the list of information sessions scheduled for the 2023-2024 application cycle. Note: times listed are Pacific Daylight Time, PDT. Each session will last approximately 30-45 minutes, followed by a Q&A.
Friday, July 22, 2022 @ 2:00 PM PST
Wednesday, July 27, 2022 @ 3:00 PM PST
Monday, August 8, 2022 @ 9:30 AM PST
Tuesday, August 22, 2022 @ 9:00 AM PST
Thursday, September 8, 2022 @ 4:00 PM PST
Thursday, September 22, 2022 @ 12:00 PM PST
PhD Admissions - Student Panels
E-IPER Grad Admissions Student Representatives will moderate three Student Panels; these sessions will be on zoom, and prospective students may attend to learn about the E-IPER program, Admissions Process, etc., from current E-IPER PhD students.
Session 1: Thursday, September 30, 2021 @ 6:00 PM PDT - this session will follow the last PhD Admissions Info Session, which starts at 5:00 PM PDT
To join the session, simply click on the link for the date/time you want above.
PhD Admissions - Faculty Open House
E-IPER affiliate faculty sometimes host "Open House" info sessions for prospective students. Any information on open houses will be posted in this section. If any sessions are recorded, we will post a link below.
- Prof. Nicole Ardoin's Stanford Social Ecology Lab Open House (Virtual)
- There are two sessions: 1) October 27, 2021 - 3:00 - 3:45 pm PDT, and 2) November 5, 2021 - 1:00 - 1:45 pm PDT. Click here to RSVP to the Open House and Q&A sessions
- A recording of 2020's Social Ecology Lab - Virtual Open House available: click here to watch
Below is a pre-recorded admission session video: