Graduate students are admitted by the department of Energy Resources Engineering. All undergraduates are admitted by Stanford University Undergraduate Admissions regardless of their major interest. Our department admits graduate students on the basis of their academic achievements, letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, work experience and Graduate Records Examination (GRE) scores. There are no minimum grade point averages or GRE scores: the admissions committee reviews each application carefully to determine the overall demonstrated and potential ability.
Applications for 2019-20 academic year is now closed.
Applications for 2020-21 academic year will open September 2019.
Admissions deadline for 2020-21 academic year is December 10, 2019.
All required application documents must be received by the application deadline.
- Prospective Undergraduate Applicants should visit the Stanford Undergraduate Admissions for information.
- Prospective Graduate Applicants should visit Stanford Graduate Admissions for additional information. The online application is also available on the Graduate Admissions website.
- Current Stanford MS students interested in applying to the Department of Energy Resources Engineering should contact the ERE Student Services for more information on application procedure.
Specific information on the course of study for all undergraduate and graduate programs offered by the Department of Energy Resources Engineering can be found in the Stanford Registrar's Bulletin in the School of Earth, Energy & Environmental Sciences section.
Please note that all PhD applicants must have a MS in order to be considered for the PhD program in Energy Resources Engineering and Petroleum Engineering. All PhD applicants for Petroleum Engineering must have a MS in Petroleum Engineering.
The following items must be received in the electronic application**:
- General information about Graduate Admissions and applying online.
- Statement of purpose
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official GRE scores
- Official TOEFL scores (if applicable)
- Academic Transcripts for both undergraduate and graduate institutions
Two official transcripts should be mailed to:
ERE Graduate Admissions
367 Panama Street
Green Earth Sciences 050
Stanford, CA 94305-4007
**The University reserves the right to request additional information.
GRE and TOEFL
Be sure to schedule your GRE and TOEFL (if needed) exam dates to give you enough time to meet the application deadline. The GRE exam is required of all applicants, while the TOEFL is required of most international applicants whose first language is not English. You can check the Graduate Admissions FAQ for more information. There can be no substitutions for these two exams.
GRE scores can be no older than 5 years prior to your application. Strong quantitative skills are essential for successful completion of all programs, therefore the admissions committee expects a high quantitative score.
TOEFL scores must be no older than 18 months prior to your application. Please check requirements on the Graduate Admissions website.
The Stanford score recipient code for ETS is 4704 (no department code is needed for ERE). Please include a copy of your GRE scores with your application or note your scores in the electronic application. Official ETS scores for both GRE and TOEFL must be received by the application deadline.