Coterminal MS Program
The coterminal Master's program provides an exceptional opportunity for Stanford students to pursue a graduate research experience and earn an MS degree concurrently with or subsequent to their BS studies. The Master's degree is viewed as an entrance professional degree in numerous sub-disciplines within the petroleum, geothermal, and sustainable energy industries, or in any related industry where analyzing transport in porous media or computer simulation skills are required. Alternatively, graduate course work and the Master's research experience can provide an intermediate step prior to pursuit of the PhD.
Please refer to the Stanford Bulletin for Energy Resources Engineeringcourse listings and requirements.
Students may apply to the coterm program after earning at least 120 units toward graduation, have a math background through MATH 53 and CS 106AB, and in time to take ENERGY 120, the basic introductory course in Autumn Quarter of the year they wish to begin the program.
For more detailed information, please see the Registrar’s website.
Complete coterminal master’s applications should include the following:
- Coterminal online application
- Undergraduate Department Approval Form
- Statement of purpose should describe your reasons for applying to the proposed program, which may include: preparation for this field of study, motivation for graduate study, why the program is a good fit for you, future career plans, and other relevant aspects of your background and interests
- An unofficial copy of your current Stanford transcript
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty members or job supervisors
- Official GRE Scores and a copy of the unofficial GRE scores. Official test scores must be reported directly to Stanford from Educational Testing Service (ETS). Stanford’s ETS institutional code is 4704; an individual department code number is not necessary. Please be sure to list Stanford University as a Score Recipient in addition to listing it as your Graduate Institution (GI).
- Preliminary Program Proposal
The completed application including all listed requirements is due one month before the last day of classes prior to when the student wants to begin the coterminal program. (i.e. if applying for winter quarter, the complete application is due one month before the last day of classes autumn quarter).
Please email our Student Services Administrator after you’ve submitted the online application with your name and the quarter you wish to start the coterminal program.
Quarter of Matriculation
Autumn 2019 - 20
July 15, 2019, 11:59pm
Winter 2019 - 20
November 6, 2019, 11:59pm
Spring 2019 - 20
February 13, 2020, 11:59pm
Summer 2019 - 20
May 3, 2020, 11:59pm
Application Review and Decisions
Applicants will be notified of the admission decision in writing, typically 3 - 4 weeks after the application deadline. If a student is approved for admission into the coterminal program, the student must respond to the Student Services Administrator within the same quarter the offer of admission was made.
For additional questions, please contact Student Services Administrator.