Coterminal MS Program
The coterminal Master's program provides an exceptional opportunity for Stanford students to pursue a graduate research experience and earn an MS degree concurrently with or subsequent to their BS studies. The Master's degree is viewed as an entrance professional degree in numerous sub-disciplines within the petroleum, geothermal, and sustainable energy industries, or in any related industry where analyzing transport in porous media or computer simulation skills are required. Alternatively, graduate course work and the Master's research experience can provide an intermediate step prior to pursuit of the PhD.
Please refer to the Stanford Bulletin for Energy Resources Engineering course listings and requirements.
Students may apply to the coterm program after earning at least 120 units toward graduation. Students should have a math background through MATH 53 Ordinary Differential Equations with Linear Algebra, as well as a programming background through CS 106AB Programming Methodology before beginning graduate work in this program.
For more detailed information, please see the Registrar’s website.
Complete coterminal master’s applications should include the following:
- Coterminal online application
- Statement of purpose should describe your reasons for applying to the proposed program, which may include: preparation for this field of study, motivation for graduate study, why the program is a good fit for you, future career plans, and other relevant aspects of your background and interests
- An unofficial copy of your current Stanford transcript
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty members or job supervisors
- Official GRE Scores and a copy of the unofficial GRE scores. Official test scores must be reported directly to Stanford from Educational Testing Service (ETS). Stanford’s ETS institutional code is 4704; an individual department code number is not necessary. Please be sure to list Stanford University as a Score Recipient in addition to listing it as your Graduate Institution (GI).
The completed application and all listed requirements are due by the application deadline.
*Please send an email to the Student Services Administrator after you’ve submitted the online application with your name and the quarter you wish to begin the coterminal program.
Quarter of Matriculation
June 1, 2022
July 1, 2022, 11:59pm PDT
September 15, 2022
November 15, 2022, 11:59pm PST
December 1, 2022
February 15, 2023, 11:59pm PST
|March 1, 2023|
May 15, 2023, 11:59pm PDT
March 15, 2023
May 31, 2023, 11:59pm PDT
Application Review and Decisions
Applicants will be notified of the admission decision in writing, typically 3 - 4 weeks after the application deadline. If a student is approved for admission into the coterminal program, the student must respond to the Student Services Administrator within the same quarter the offer of admission was made.
For additional questions, please contact Student Services Administrator.