Career Accelerator: Connect, Communicate, and Translate Your Academic Skills Into Diverse Careers (VPGE)
- Two-session Workshop: Wednesdays, Feb. 19 and 26, 2020, 4-7 PM.
- RSVP for this information
- More Info:
- More Info and to RSVP
- Graduate Students
- Educational Affairs
Get valuable hands-on experience with essential tools for career exploration.
By participating in this program, you will:
- Gain insight into your professional interests, strengths, and beliefs
- Understand the most effective practices of career exploration
- Practice connecting your skills and interests to different career domains
- Communicate effectively your experience in written and verbal mediums
- Develop a community of peers from many disciplines and backgrounds by sharing your experiences and perspectives
This interactive, two-session workshop provides tools and processes for PhD students to identify and communicate professional interests and transferable skills for careers beyond the professoriate. You will explore your interests and skills, translate your current experiences to audiences outside of academia, and initiate a plan to develop professional connections. You will work out your ideas in conversation with your graduate peers. The workshop will be especially useful for students who are early in their exploration of careers.
Workshops are led by Urmila Venkatesh and John Armstrong. Urmila is the assistant dean of Career Education & associate director of Career Communities - PhDs & Postdocs for BEAM. John is a lecturer and fellow for the Stanford Life Design Lab.
Open to enrolled graduate students at any stage in any discipline or degree program. Priority given to doctoral students. Open to postdoctoral scholars if space is available.
Space is limited. Due to the workshop's interactive format, full participation in both sessions is required.
If you are accepted to this workshop you must confirm your place by submitting a Student Participation Fee Agreement, which authorizes VPGE to charge $50 to your Stanford bill – only if you do not fully participate in the event. You will receive a link to the Agreement and instructions if you are offered a place.