ERE Seminar: James Marco (Warwick) | "Electric Vehicle Battery Pack Analysis and End of Life"
- Monday, Mar 1, 2021 11:30 AM
- Virtual Meeting via Zoom (see login details in Description)
- More Info:
- ERE Seminar: James Marco (Warwick) | "Electric Vehicle Battery Pack Analysis an…
- Faculty/Staff, Students, Alumni/Friends
- Energy Resources Engineering
James Marco | Professor, Systems Modelling and Simulation at WMG, University of Warwick
"Electric Vehicle Battery Pack Analysis and End of Life Options"
A key challenge for electrification in the automotive sector is the need to scale-up individual battery technologies into complete energy storage systems with a performance, life and reliability that meets the expectations of end-user. For automotive manufacturers considering the environmental impact of battery production and use, combined with end of life (EOL) battery directives in Europe, greater consideration is given to extending battery life, whole life cost and the creation of a circular economy for electric vehicle (EV) batteries. The aim of this talk is to introduce example research topics that crosscut the design and analysis of EV battery systems and different EOL strategies, such as battery reuse or “2nd-life” applications. Particular attention is given to pack-scale performance and the requirements and challenges of EOL management within the context of real-world constraints. Future areas for research and the role of modelling, system control and instrumentation are introduced that may support and accelerate the creation of a circular economy for automotive battery systems.
Example Subset of Relevant Publications:
- Vincent T.A., Marco J., (2020), Development of Smart Battery Cell Monitoring System and Characterization on a Small-Module Through In-Vehicle Power Line Communication, IEEE Access.
- Koleti U., D.Q. Truong, Marco J., (2020), A New On-line Method for Lithium Plating Detection in Lithium-ion Batteries, Journal of Power Services, Volume 451, Pages 1-12.
- Lucu M., Martinez-Laserna E., Gandiaga I., Liu K., Camblong H., Widanage D., Marco J., (2020), Data-Driven Nonparametric Li-ion Battery Ageing Model Aiming at Learning from Real Operation Data – Part B: Cycling Operation, Journal of Energy Storage, Volume 30, Pages 1-16.
- Grandjean T, Groenewald J., McGordon A., Widanalage D., Marco J., (2018), Accelerated Internal Resistance Measurements of Lithium-Ion Cells to Support Future End of Life Strategies for Electric Vehicles, Batteries, Volume 4, Issue 49, Pages 1-17.
- Groenwald J., Grandjean T., Marco J., (2017), Accelerated Energy Capacity Measurement of Lithium-Ion Cells to Support Future Circular Economy Strategies for Electric Vehicles, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Volume 69, Pages 98-111.
James Marco is a Professor with 20 years’ experience working across industry and academia on battery systems engineering, modelling and control. James joined WMG, University of Warwick in 2013 after a successful career at Cranfield University (2005-2013) and in industry. James is Head of the Energy Directorate within WMG that comprises circa 200 research, engineering and academic staff. His broad research interests are focussed on the challenge of scaling-up individual battery cells to complete energy storage systems. Example areas of interest include: (1) model, control and experimental design to quantify electro-thermal heterogeneity at cell and system level to optimise performance and mitigate degradation, (2) control system validation (3) extending battery useful life through repurposing and re-use.
*If you are a Stanford Affiliate outside of Energy Resources Engineering (ERE) department and would like to attend, please contact Emily Gwynn (email@example.com) for the Zoom Meeting link and password.
**If you are in Energy Resources Engineering (ERE) department, you will receive an announcement from Emily Gwynn (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the Zoom Meeting link and password.