Negotiation Matters (VPGE workshop)
- Two-session Workshop: Tuesdays, Feb. 4 and 11, 2020, 4-8 PM.
- RSVP for this information
- More Info:
- More Info and to RSVP
- Graduate Students
- Educational Affairs
Learn how to negotiate with colleagues, bosses, partners, friends, clients, and many others.
Through a dynamic mix of theory, demonstration, and practice, this two-session workshop provides a solid foundation for more principled, persuasive, and successful negotiation in a variety of contexts.
By participating fully, you will:
- be aware of and able to manage the tension between creating and claiming value
- understand how to elicit strengths and weaknesses of your own conflict management and negotiation style
- improve your critical communication skills and persuasion strategies
- learn how to focus your efforts in each phase of a negotiation through practical exercises and role plays
- gain confidence and effectiveness in negotiations
We explore critical negotiation theory, such as competitive versus collaborative approaches, and identify motivating interests to improve your approach to negotiation and the quality of your outcomes. We continue with the essentials of thorough preparation for a negotiation, including setting specific targets, identifying sources of influence, and defining the point of walk away with reference to a methodical alternatives analysis. While building this negotiation framework, we define and practice critical communication and influencing skills. We also outline a practical framework so that you have a clear map of an effective negotiation process.
These series complement the related offering, Management Matters.
Open and relevant to graduate students at any stage in any discipline or degree. Space is limited. Due to the workshop's interactive format, full participation in all sessions is required.
If you are accepted to this workshop you must confirm your place by submitting a Student Participation Fee Agreement, which authorizes VPGE to charge $50 to your Stanford bill – only if you do not fully participate in the event. You will receive a link to the Agreement and instructions if you are offered a place.