Coterminal MS Program
The coterminal Master's program provides an exceptional opportunity for students to pursue a graduate research experience and earn an MS degree concurrently with or subsequent to their BS studies. The Master's degree is viewed as an entrance professional degree in numerous subdisciplines within the earth sciences. Alternatively, graduate course work and the Master's research experience can provide an intermediate step prior to pursuit of the PhD. Regardless of their professional goals, coterminal BS/MS students are treated as members of the Geophysics graduate community and are expected to meet all of the standards set for regular MS students.
Who is eligible?
Students may apply to the co-term program after earning at least 120 units toward graduation, including allowable Advanced Placement (AP) and transfer credit, as shown on their undergraduate unofficial transcript. The coterm program is only open to current Stanford students. Please review the Geophysics Bulletin for more information about the coterminal program.
The following deadlines are for the 2020-2021 Academic year:
- To apply for Winter 2022: Deadline to submit an application November 17, 2021
- To apply for Spring 2022: Deadline to submit an application February 9, 2022
- To apply for Summer 2022: Deadline to submit an application May 2, 2022
- To apply for Autumn 2022: Deadline to submit an application August 1, 2022
How to apply
Students who wish to apply to the coterm program must submit an online application
The application includes:
- A completed online application
- A statement of purpose
- A copy of a current Stanford transcript
- Letters of recommendation from two Stanford faculty
- The Preliminary Program Proposal (found in the co-term application)