- Assistant Professor, Geophysics
- Center Fellow (By courtesy), Stanford Woods Institute for the Environment
- Faculty Affiliate, Institute for Human-Centered Artificial Intelligence (HAI)
- Member, Institute for Computational and Mathematical Engineering (ICME)
- Center Fellow, by Courtesy, Stanford Woods Institute for the Environment
My research group studies disasters to reduce the risk they pose. We approach this challenge by developing customized mathematical models that can be tested against observational data and are informed by community needs through a scientific co-production process. We intentionally work on extremes across different natural systems rather than focusing on one specific natural system to identify both commonalities in the physical processes driving extremes and in the best practices for mitigating risk at the community level. Our current research priorities include volcanic eruptions, ice-sheet instability, permafrost disintegration, induced seismicity and flood-risk mitigation. I was recently awarded the Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers, the highest honor bestowed by the United States Government on science and engineering professionals in the early stages of their independent research careers and the CAREER award from the National Science Foundation.